Wondering how to spice up your property? Retaining walls, installed by professional contractors, are a fantastic way to add dimension and character to your landscape. This article takes a look at some key ways to use retaining walls, including:
- Incorporate Levels
- Creating Space
- Design Features
- Preventing Soil Erosion
The beauty of landscaping is to be able to take an otherwise unremarkable ‘blank canvas’ and transform it into something special. With a flat property, you can have contractors install small retaining walls at strategic locations to incorporate levels into your landscape.
As well as bringing more character and variety to your space, here are some ideas for using your new levels:
- Patio – using pavers and equipped with an outdoor dining set, create a lovely outdoor dining space with a view
- Hot Tub – time to get that hot tub you’ve always wanted set up in the corner of your garden, complete with privacy screens and mood lighting
- Kids Playground – if your backyard is on the small side, incorporate a retaining wall and slide combo in one corner – with steps to the side and the slide anchored at the top and base of the retaining wall, this will be a very safe playground!
- Multi-level Lawns – a terraced lawn effect that looks great and can work in beautifully with your gardens
If your property is on steep terrain, a skilled contractor will be able to install retaining walls that help you make the most use of your space. Multiple retaining walls give a terraced effect that creates more flat space to be used as a base for gardens and other landscaping projects.
As well as being extremely useful, retaining walls can be used as a design feature. This could include:
Garden Edging & Borders – small retaining walls are ideal to use as borders to enclose your gardens and lawns, keeping your outdoor space looking neat and tidy
- Theme & Style – give your garden a unique ‘flavour’ by having your contractors add retaining walls designed and built with a material you love, such as natural stone for a rustic look
- Garden Feature – build a circular retaining wall to be the centrepiece of your lawn, with your plants, trees, or flowers of choice growing within
Preventing Soil Erosion
Depending on the location and situation of your property, there may be a risk of soil erosion over time, particularly in the event of severe weather such as flooding and heavy rains. This can in turn cause damage to other property features such as concrete driveways and paths, causing damage. A qualified contractor will be able to assist you in selecting the best locations to install retaining walls to help protect against risks of soil erosion.
Your Duty of Care as a Property Owner
A key point to be aware of when it comes to potential soil erosion, is that as a property owner you owe a duty of care to ensure that your property does not damage that of your neighbours. This means making sure that you install structural features such as retaining walls where necessary, and by professional contractors who will be sure to meet the safety and quality standards required.
Ready to install a retaining wall on your property? Asphalt Concepts are professional contractors servicing from Brisbane through Sunshine Coast and Caboolture. In addition to all things asphalt and concrete, our range of other decades of experience and industry expertise encompasses a variety of service offerings including: landscaping, concrete removal, and heavy vehicle/machinery transportation.
For Trusted Retaining Wall Contractors Brisbane